Friday, February 8, 2008

Feel good Friday story

Out at work all union employees have had their internet priveledges taken away. Of course since I am stuck in a union, that includes me. I usually make it online by having one of our scientists (non-union, lucky them!) log on for me so I can get my daily fix of the news. Reading the news is like water to me. I think if I didn't get updates on the goings on in the world, I wouldn't make it.

Of course, there are those times when there isn't a handy scientist around, so I have to find other things to pass the time away. One of those things is email. Luckily, I have people who forward me a lot of stuff. Which as a lot of people know, I then forward on. Videos, stories, name it, and I forward it. And at least once or twice a week, I will get an email that seems bogus, so I will log onto trusty to see if they are true or not. And if it is an untrue email, I then take joy in replying to the person who sent it to me that they are sending out crap. You could almost say that I am an amateur myth buster.

Well, there is one email that I recieved this week that was very thoughtful and touching. I don't really care if this happened or not, it is just a good story about a good hearted person. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have. Enjoy!

When I arrived at 2:30 a.m., the building was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window. Under these circumstances, many drivers would just honk once or twice, wait a minute, and then drive away. But I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transportation. Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door. This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself. So I walked to the door and knocked.

"Just a minute", answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor. After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie. By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware. "Would you carry my bag out to the car?" she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman. She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness. "It's nothing", I told her. "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated". "Oh, you're such a good boy", she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address, and then asked, "Could you drive through downtown?" "It's not the shortest way," I answered quickly. "Oh, I don't mind," she said. "I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice". I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. "I don't have any family left," she continued. "The doctor says I don't have very long." I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. "What route would you like me to take?" I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator. We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl. Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now" We drove in silence to the address she had given me.It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico. Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her. I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair. "How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse. "Nothing," I said "You have to make a living," she answered. "There are other passengers," I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly. "You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said. "Thank you." I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life. I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away? On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life. We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.


There, now wasn't that a great story? Have a good weekend everyone, and if you find yourself in a situation where you can make someone feel better, take a few minutes out of your day and do it.

p.s. I think I will have to write about football or some other man related thing next time. I am all sapped out!


Mike Brinkerhoff said...

Yeah, wow.. It's almost like Lisa's taking over this blog too! =)