Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A great day to be an American

April 15th, the day millions of Americans dread, is here. But this year wasn't like other years when we refill the government coffers. This is the year where hundreds of thousands of Americans, many who are sick and tired of seeing their taxes go up, and many others who are sickened by the amount of spending that not only President Obama is endorsing, but what George Bush endorsed when he was President stood up and said enough is enough.

And while the idea for T.E.A.(Taxed Enough Already) Parties are being attributed to "far right wing" extremists, that is not the case. Today I saw people from many walks of life, and while there were some, well, lets just say "interesting" people, most were there to show their disgust with the bureaucrats in Washington D.C. I saw people who had shirts proclaiming themselves "Fiscally responsible Democrats." I saw people who are sick and tired of having their hard earned money being wasted. I talked to people who claimed that they never had thought about coming to a rally, but felt they had to do something to feel like they are being heard.

All in all, it was a positive experience. I am glad that I went down and participated. I am one of those who never pictured myself attending something like this, but after the last 3 years of ridiculous amounts of money being flushed down the toilet (Even worse, the amount since September is enough to make you throw up in your mouth.) something had to be done to show my disgust. There were estimates of between 600-700 people in attendance, and I had the privilege of meeting a few of them. Here are some pics from this afternoon:



My friend from church, Cara Linde, with the killer sign she made for the occasion. You will notice this sign somewhere else further down in the pics. She called about 30 minutes before the rally and was thinking of not going. When I told her it was her patriotic duty, she changed her mind.
This is towards the beginning of the rally. Cars were honking in support. Of course there were also naysayers who drove by who like it when the government wastes their money, but I didn't get any pic of them.

When I saw this couple with their kids here, it made me wish I would have brought Alexandra and Lorelai with me so they could see what we have the right to do in this great country of ours. That, and I love this dude's sign.

Another pic towards the beginning. An hour later there was standing room only this close.

More people lining the street to wave at passing cars.


This is just one side of the crowd that showed up.

I saw these guys and loved all three signs. The middle one hits the nail on the head. This is not just a Republican or Democrat problem. Both parties are guilty of spending money that we don't have.

I saw this guy walk all over the place with that flag. He could have been off doing something else with his afternoon, but decided to spend his time in the park. I am glad he was there and let me take his photo.

This sign needs no explanation.
I told you Cara's sign would make another appearance. When she had to leave she asked the man in charge if he would like to use her sign in front of the speaker's table, and he gladly obliged.

The three stooges. Sad but 100 percent true.

Nice simple sign that pretty much spells it out for you. The first picture I took of he she wasn't looking. This one she smiled for me, but alas, the sign covered up her mug.

More young adults out letting their voices be heard. I only hope that my girls would have the courage to do this at that age. I think they will.

Talk about a family affair! I spoke with this lovely lady for a few minutes about how we both felt we had to do something. She told me that it was a good experience for her kids to be at the rally. Even though her children saw some of the negativity that certain motorists driving past exhibited, it was still worth it.
This lady looked very happy to me to be there.

Yet another nice young family I encountered today. I loved their kids shirts. They read, "I'm 3 years old and already owe 33,000!"

Another creative sign. I love the addition of the floaty!

Another good sign.

It was nice to see so many people who wanted to be there this afternoon.

This girl and her friend both had these shirts.

Another view from the speaking area.

My second favorite sign of the day! Thank you President Obama!


When I asked these lovely ladies if I could use their picture for El Donaldo Blogo, they wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be negative towards them. When I explained I was 100 percent on their side, they were more than happy to oblige.

For those of you who haven't seen the Youtube video of Daniel Hannan, Conservative MEP for the South East of England, he sums this sentiment up perfectly.


This doesn't have to do with the rally. I just like the dog.



And last but not least, my favorite sign of the night. Yes I did give Obama props for giving the order to take out those dirt bag pirates, but I still loved this sign.

Hopefully some of you were able to make it to Tea Parties in your towns, and were able to have your voice heard. If not, I have a strong feeling that these will not be the last tea parties. Like I heard someone say earlier today, something is brewing in this country, whether people like it or not.

9 comments:

KaTrina said...

My favorite sign was the non partisan sign; as I don't feel it's a one sided parties problem, it definitely covered both bases.

I'm glad you had fun, and took a lot of pictures to share, I enjoyed them.

Kristen said...

People came up with some creative, catchy signs.

Oh, and I liked the dog too! :o)

Janice said...

So glad you went.

The Donald said...

In the paper today they had a revised count of people. According to them at the rally's peak there was 1000+ people there. Very cool!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

heh... and yet according to the national media, "it just didn't galvanize with the public the way they had hoped it would"

uhhh... yeah.

Lori said...

Wow - and I thought the only cool thing about yesterday was the free ice cream and tacos! Looks like a great gathering - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Donald, thanks for letting me on your facebook, I happened across your blogsite through Heidi's and just wanted to say thanks for postin' the pics! I love the representation our community showed for the T.E.A parties! Doni (Gear)

Anonymous said...

Nice report on the tea party. I was there too with a couple of friends...have never done this before either.

KaTrina said...

Just to let you know, today is the last day of my give-a-way if you want to enter, do so by Midnight! :)

Thanks!