Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas lights and Twisted Sister

Lisa had a post up last week showing a picture of our house all decorated for Christmas, but those of you who might not also read her blog, (That number has to be very small, since most of my traffic comes from when she takes pity on my blog and links it up with hers.) I present to you the Sorenson house for Christmas 2008, starting on the porch and working its way out.


Next to the door we have none other than Mickey Mouse greeting visitors.

Since we like to go with a candy theme, there are candy canes lining the walkway to the front door.

Continuing with the candy theme, we have lollipops that we made out of Styrofoam, wooden dowels and colored plastic stuff.

This year I decided to use lights on the trees instead of the spotlights I had used in years' past. Normally I am NOT a white light fan for outdoor decorating, but it makes the trees look nice.

When we first moved into our house 3 years ago, we had the idea to put a classic waving Santa in this window. Now the other houses of this design in our neighborhood throw something up there too. But like in writing a comment in the blogging world, we claim FIRST!

Another shot of the front of the house so you can get a better look at Mr. Claus. (Yes Heidi, I know his feet don't show. It is supposed to be like he is starting down a chimney bringing Christmas goodness to the little boys and girls of the house.)

And lastly a shot of everything. Since I snapped this pic I finished wrapping the other garage door as a present, and put bows on both of them. If I get around to it I will post the new pic I have, but even without it you can get the idea. I also have the blue banner there on the left that says 'Merry Christmas' on it.

OK, now that I have the house pictures up, I need to explain the music playing on my blog. Last year I found out that Twisted Sister had decided to make a Christmas CD for their final release ever, and to celebrate 30 years as a band. Yes, the same guys that brought you classic Glam Rock hits such as "We're Not Going To Take It" and "I Want To Rock." The word I heard is that they wanted to put something out that would finish off Twisted Sister once and for all. (Which is funny to me...I figured they had been finished since 1988.)

Twisted Sister even returned to their "classic" lineup featuring lead vocalist Dee Snider, guitarists Jay Jay French and Eddie Ojeda, bassist Mark Mendoza and drummer A.J. Pero for this final album.


Now this is a Christmas CD that has been classified as "NFL" which in the Sorenson household stands for "Not For Lisa." Therefore I am relegated to rocking out to it in my car on the drive to and from work, and while at work. And since at work I sit across from my old man, I keep the volume down pretty low when I play it. I get the feeling he likes it about as much as Lisa does.

Of course, this CD wouldn't be complete if there wasn't a totally twisted video to go with it. Since I quit watching MTV a looong time ago (Not that they show videos anyway!) I have only been able to enjoy this via youtube. But instead of making you search for it yourself, I have include it right here.

Twisted? Yes. Tasteful? Not so much. But a fun rocking Christmas song? Oh yeah!

13 comments:

Janice said...

The lights look great and I had completely forgotten about Twisted Sister. Hilarious.

Lori said...

This music is too funny. Definitely a big departure from the Barry Manilow we listen to when Gabe's not home....

Great job with the lights!

Brooke said...

Your house looks great- very festive! It doesn't look like Rick will be getting lights on our house this year... maybe next year!

SuzanSayz said...

Didn't I introduce you to this one last Christams????
I'm almost 100% sure I did.
Also I do love the house and I know how much you disagree with me, but I think icicles under all the big colored lights would make it even better.
Alright, alright, I have said my piece and now I will leave.

Lisa Christine said...

The house is amazing Donald....I can't believe that I live in it....lucky me!

The Donald said...

Mom, you are backwards. I introduced this last year to you. I found out about it from the guy who owns/works at R&P Records in downtown Kennewick. I think your memory has faulted you.

dani said...

hold up!!! thedonald, your mother (my suz) thinks she introduced you to a twisted sister cd about which you didn't know??? suz is a twisted sister fan??? tell me it ain't so!!! i am cracking up here on the lane:p
anyway, your house looks great, and your lights rock!!! i had thought about doing the candy theme before, but john is not much on haning lights. so, i just stick with simplicity:/
~dani

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

well if I'd known you'd be interested, I would have introduced it to both of you last year! :)

Great job on the lights, The Donald! I don't like white lights, but the new LED ones are so much whiter than the old ones, they're kind of winning me over. I've seen a lot of them this year.

Brooke said...

So, I was showing my husband how proud you are of your house by putting the picture as your facebook profile picture and then showing him all the blog pictures too. (Trying to make him feel guilty for not putting up any lights at our house!) He says it looks great, but thinks the third car garage needs to be a present too! He's just jealous...

Heidi D said...

I thought my comment would bug you enough to respond. :) I still would like to see the feet.

Jan said...

Do you take bribes? Dr. Pepper maybe? You are so good at this. :)

Yasmine said...

Yes your house was the inspiration for ours. Thanks for doing all that you do. It allows me to whine to Jason, "But Donald does that! Why can't you?" He might hate you, I'm not sure.

Aamer said...

The use of water early in the morning and walking daily about 30 mints is more beneficial for your body,.....its true water diet is useful for weight lose,..
Boot camp