Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Making a Hobby Pay Off

One of the things that I absolutely LOVE to do is wash my car. Well, I guess I should expound upon that statement. I LOVE to not only wash my car, but to clean and shine the tires and wheels, (rims are on bicycles, not cars) wash the windshield and windows, lay a good layer of wax on the body, vacuum out the inside and wash the carpets and/or seats if necessary, clean off the dash, and slap a nice layer of protectant down on the dash and any other surface on the inside or out that need shinning. I know that to most people the thought of doing all of that yourself does not sound fun, but to me it is almost relaxing. You could say instead of gardening to melt away stress, I do it by detailing my car.


So go back about 10 years ago when I was working at B and B printing. Our graphic design guy was always jealous at how nice and clean my car always looked, and asked me where I took it to. When he found out that I did it myself, he insisted that I do his car too. And if any of you have read the Workin' for the MAN series I wrote a few months back, you know that I love making money. I was more than happy to detail Mark's car. I was a little nervous since I had never done a car that wasn't mine, but once I started I felt right at home. Of course Mark was amazed at the job I did, and every 6 months after that until he quit working there, he had me detail his car.
In the last few years I started shopping my services out at work. Every person that I have done a detail job for comes away impressed, and I have even been told that I did a better job than the person they had paid almost twice as much to do their car.

So this past week my boss sent me and email (She is on long term disability right now while she is treated for breast cancer. I am happy to say that she is done with treatment, and is close to coming back to work.) and asked if I could detail her cars for her. First she wanted me to do her Acura. It was the car that she had been driving back and forth between here and Seattle for her treatments for the last 10 months. Her grandchildren had taken over the back seat, and as Simon, Paula, and Randy would say, "made it their own." And now that she was done with her trips, she wanted it nice and clean again. The second car that she wants me to do is her Mercedes convertible that she is going to be selling soon. She told the guy that she wouldn't sell it to him until it was nice and clean.

Since Christmas is right around the corner, and it is always nice to have the extra money, I told her that I was more than happy to do this for her. This past weekend I did the Acura, and next weekend I am going to take care of the Benz. I am really proud at how nice the Acura turned out. Take a look for yourself:

The carpet in the back seat had 5-6 black spots from the grandkids. No problem for the Bissell. Looks brand new now!

Not to toot my own horn too loud, but as you can tell from the pictures I do pretty good work. And like I said, I love to detail cars because it is relaxing, and there isn't much that I appreciate more than a nicely cleaned car.

So if there are any of you in the Tri-City area who are thinking about getting their cars washed and waxed for the winter months ahead, and you don't know where you want to go, feel free to give me a ring. My prices are good, and I will put all I have into making your car look like it belongs in the showroom instead of parked on the curb.

11 comments:

Janice said...

I wish you lived in the SLC city area. I SO need to have my car detailed.

Jan said...

Being a perfectionist is paying off then. Awesome Donald. Love the job you did.

Stephanie said...

Can you move to Illnois. OUr cars all need your excellent detailing.

Em and Ms said...

Darn! Washing and vacuuming the car is on my to-do list today. If only we lived closer.

Heather said...

How are you at getting red gatorade out of carpets?

SuzanSayz said...

Donald it's nice to see you advertising for your car detailing business. Next spring you should do the same for your lawn mowing . I guess though that you can only do so many, Lisa does like to have a husband around.

My Three Sons said...

Good job! They look good as new :) I totally could have gotten you a job (as I've said before) at Jiffy Car Wash (hee hee)!!

Brooke said...

Isn't it fun to turn something we actually like to do, into a way to help others and earn a little extra?! I also find cleaning to be very relaxing- cars, houses, organizing closets... just been a little tough lately! I can't wait to tackle a ton of projects after the baby is born!

Kristen said...

Toot your horn as loud as you want...that car looks awesome!!

Anonymous said...

How did I never know that you did this? I would have totally paid you to do our cars!!! I always paid that overpriced place on Columbia Center. Dang it!!

Anonymous said...

you seriously crack me up!!!!!!!!! You always have had a nice car...shoot your car is old but it looks like brand new.....I love clean cars too....Rob takes our shampooer to my interior alot...It is cream...Hate it:P