Thursday, January 15, 2009

I have a confession

How many of you out there in blog land ever had a musician or music group that you secretly liked, and didn't want anyone to know about it? You know what I am talking about. From the punk rocker who would listen to NSYNC when his buddies aren't around, to the star athelete who would crank up Bach to get pumped up for a big game instead of Metalica, everyone likes some sort of music that doesn't fit into the category that they claim to be their type. I am not immune from this. I secretly listen to an artist who not only has a hit TV show, but has toured the country as two "different" people. Who is this artist that I speak of? (OK, here goes!)

None other than Miley Cyrus, a.k.a. Hannah Montana.



I have a feeling you might be asking yourself right now, "Is he being SERIOUS!?!" The answer is yes, I am. Maybe I am a Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fan because I have two girls who adore her and watch her show whenever it is on. Or maybe it is from hearing Alexandra play Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus songs on her Disney Mix it MP3 player. Or maybe (just maybe) I like her because she has actual talent. Not just for singing, but for entertaining.

At first all she did was get on my nerves. I dismissed Hannah Montana as just another tween performer who didn't really have any talent. The show would come on Disney Channel and I would go do something else. The last thing I wanted to do was watch yet another kid show where all the adults act retarded. But then I sat down and watched an episode of the TV show with Alexandra and Lorelai.


To my surprise, the show was actually watchable. The cast is good and blends well together. There are parts of the show that make me laugh. And I would have never thought that Billy Ray Cyrus would have ever been anything other than the achy breaky heart guy. In fact, I watched a whole Hannah Montana show DVD with the girls that they received for Christmas. Yeah, I could have left the room at any time, but I was enjoying the show as much as they were.

Then there are her CD's. Her first Hannah Montana CD (2006) is ok, but is a little too teeny bopper for me. I haven't heard anything off of Hannah Montana 2 (2007) But I do know that she co-wrote 8 of the 10 songs on that CD. Her most recent release, Breakout, is nothing short of amazing. Once again, she co-wrote 8 of the album's 13 songs. How many 15 (now 16) year old kids write their own songs nowadays? I am thinking not very many.

There are few albums out there where almost every song is good, and Breakout is one of them. Cyrus's deep sultry voice rips through songs the way a singer much older and experienced would. The song "These Four Walls" is an instant classic. It is one of those songs that you can put on repeat and listen to over and over again. The same can be said about track 3, "The Driveway." Her version of the Cyndi Lauper classic "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is a great remake, and the songs "See You Again" and "Breakout" are two that sound great cranked up in the car. About the only song that I didn't care for on the Breakout albume was the eco-wacko "Wake Up America." I may enjoy her music, but the last thing I want is for ANY artist to preach to me about global warming bullcrap.



There you have it. My secret is out. But then again, that is OK with me. It isn't like I really care about what people think anyway.

So if a day arrives where my girls come up and ask if their daddy can take them to a Miley Cyrus concert, even though I will have to pretend that it is the last thing I would want to do, inside I will be stoked that I get to hear a good singer, and not some teeny bopper hack job.




23 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the AM info The Donald--all is right in the world again with AM radio updates. Good luck getting tickets to a Hannah Montana concert--they go in like a minute flat! Last year some parents paid thousands of dollars for their tickets. In the state of Missouri, it is now legal to scalp tickets--that made buying tickets at a reasonable price SO much easier--yea right! I'll have to check out her album.

Lisa Christine said...

It's so true people! I will come home and Donald will have Hannah Montana blasting through the house. We are FANS around here :)

I am proud of you for confessing Donald...now you need to do a post about how much you love pedicures!

MSB said...

My girls love Hannah Montana, too... I don't know yet if Olivia realizes that she is Miley Cyrus and that she has music! She just loves the show on Disney!

Brooke said...

I love this "confession"! A few months ago the T.V. was still on Disney after putting the kids to bed and a few HM's came on in a row... and for the first time I actually watched one. Not bad at all- I was pleasantly surprised!

The funny part is, our daughter (who's almost 3) could really care less about HM quite yet, so I'm really only watching it for me. Maybe I'll be the one to make her a fan and instead of the other way around. :)

Kristen said...

You ever see those "dad" commercials? This would make a good one. I can just picture you, Alexandra, and Lorelai all dancing and singing to a concert video of Hannah Montanna. The commercial goes:

"Anybody can be a father. But it takes a man to be a dad."

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

We love her too, and even sing along with our kids. I bought 3-D tickets months in advance last Feb. and went with a broken ankle. She is good. Glad you agree :)

Janice said...

This made me laugh this morning. You haven't blogged in forever and this is your first post back? HILARIOUS. But, when I look at your arguements, I have to agree with everything you say.

Em and Ms said...

I'll admit I'm a bit shocked, but good for you! I might have to give her another try. I usually don't have a problem with the teeny boppers, but every time I see Miley in an interview or onstage I just think the fame has gone to her head. I might need to listen to her new album.

SuzanSayz said...

I don't really agree with you about the show. I've watched parts of it before (mostly when I'm at your house babysitting the girls) and it looked to me to be a typical Disney channel-Nickelodian kids show with bumbling adults, one smart kid, one dumb kid and plot lines that were completely contrived and way over the top.
But I am interested in her music. I still, every once in a while, listen to the one Britney Spears CD I have. Her first one. Back then before she became "BRITNEY SPEARS" she was really quite good.
I will have to borrow the girl's CD and make a copy of it.

Jan said...

We watch over here too sometimes. But Mattie is getting tired of her because we saw a box of health bars with her picture on it. And Mattie said that was over the top. They have overexposed her, and Mattie doesn't like her much anymore. So we don't seem to have in on tv as much either. It is a very funny show though. Rickoooo.

Lori said...

Hilarious! See you Again is one of my favorites, though it does sound weird to hear my 4 year old sing it with attitude... :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

You inspire me, The Donald!

I completely agree about Miley's musical abilities, except I really hate the cover of ''Girls Just Wanna Have Fun''. But ''The Driveway'' and ''Full Circle'' are songs on ''Breakout'' that I could listen to over and over..

Now the inspirational part... I absolutely love the new Jonas Brothers CD. Again, Nick Jonas, who writes nearly all of their material, is just 16. And he's written two albums of nearly all good stuff. It amazes me, and I think I'll write a companion post to this Miley oriented one. Together, we'll bring GOOD teen-pop the recognition it deserves!

KaTrina said...

I LOVE Hannah Montana...But I'm not really a closet fan lol

Stephanie said...

A True Dad

My Three Sons said...

That is awesome, because Vern enjoys watching Hannah Montana, too, not with our little girl (cause we don't have one) but with our 7 year old SON! Yes, Chase has a thing for Hannah Montana, as well. So, you, Don, are not alone. There are many males out there (not just teenagers) who like her. Thanks for fessing up!

And as for the story Shane told me, I'll give you a few more hints: prom/homecoming Richland High, eggs. Does this not ring any bells? Maybe Shane was wrong about you being there, or maybe your past has been erased by aliens. Who knows :)

My Three Sons said...

what I meant to say was, maybe your memory has been erased by aliens, as far as I know they haven't been known to erase the past, yet.

dani said...

i like her too, thedonald:) and, i'm very impressed that you wrote this post, ha (out loud and all;)!!!
as far as cyrus is concerned, i just really hope that she doesn't fizzle or start having the emotional problems many other tweens have had in the past. if mc can keep her head on straight, i believe she will have a very lengthy career in the industry!
have a great day:D
dani

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Okay so I can't fault you for the HM/MC thing. I admit that I have "Too Little, Too Late" by JoJo on my iPod. Yeah, Mr. Rock his own dang self right? But Donald Donald Donald, I'm calling BS right now on the Billy Ray Cyrus thing. I have watched the show too and he's the most annoying person on the planet. Everything from his hairstyle, fashion sense and absolutely no acting ability whatsoever. Granted, all the other characters are pretty funny and entertaining. They overact yes, but like you said, tween audience. But BRC? Ugggggh, I wish he was still the Achy Breaky Heart guy, then we wouldn't be looking at his retarded mug again.

Alisa said...

So...at first I thought you were a bit nuts. But now having listened to some of the music on the sidebar...I'd have to agree. Not bad!! Okay...good!! Great!

Anonymous said...

Don, you are insane. No more confessions.

libbie said...

seems like you and flamers have more in common than i thought! he is also a fan!

Yasmine said...

I like her music too--I have several of her songs on my ipod and they're great to work out to. My secret group I loved was Journey. I even went to a concert of theirs in Salt Lake when I was in college!

Janice said...

My husband tells me I need to confess that I like OffSpring. I didn't realize liking Offspring was a confessable offense but he assures me it is. (You gotta keep it seperated.)