Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The tale of the two Target bathrooms

Last week when I was reading this post, I was about to comment on a similar situation that I had many years ago, but decided that it was good post material. Of course I then forgot that I was going to write it. But when I went back to Mike's blog again today, it refreshed my memory, so here goes.

One day many years ago, before Lisa and I had any children, we went to Target to do some shopping. I really had to go to the bathroom, and kind of hurried into the store so I could relieve myself. Now I had only used the Kennewick Target's bathroom only one time before, and in my mind it was the first door you can to.

Without looking up at the sign (Like I said, I knew which one was the men's room!) I entered into the bathroom. Upon entering the bathroom, I found it a little odd that there were no urinals in the men's room at this Target. In fact, I had never seen a bathroom where there were so many loos lined up in a row. But since I really had to go, I pick a stall somewhere in the middle, and went about doing my business.

I had been in there less than 30 seconds, when all of a sudden I heard Lisa walk in and call out for me. I couldn't believe it!! How dare she come into the men's room?? The nerve of her! I yelled at her to get out, and that if someone saw her in the men's room she was going to get into trouble.

Up to this point I was still convinced that I was in the men's room. The thought had not crossed my mind that this could possibly be a women's bathroom. But right as I went to flush, I heard Lisa speak these chilling words: "YOU ARE IN THE WOMEN'S ROOM, NOT THE MEN'S ROOM!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING????"

I jumped out at the stall ready to tell Lisa off, and that she was wrong. But by now I had serious doubts in my mind that I was actually in the right place. It wasn't until I looked over on the wall and saw the tampon dispenser that I had known for sure I had made a horrible mistake.

Luckily, I was able to make it out before any other ladies came in. And I seem to remember seeing all the stall doors (except mine) open, so no one other than Lisa had to ever know that I was in there. And when I finally made it back into the hallway, I looked at the door. Sure enough, there was Mrs. Bathroom on the door adorned in her black dress with stick arms and legs sticking out.

No El Donaldo, this is NOT the Men's room!

It was many months, perhaps years, before I was able to enter into Target again without Lisa asking me if I had to go to the bathroom. Of course when she reads this, the taunting just might start back up again.

15 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Oh, it WILL start up again. Thanks for the reminder :)

Love you.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Pssst... Hey The Donald... Your link to my blog needs to be updates - we're at www.thebrinkerhoffs.com now!

The www.mikeymix.com address goes to my DJ Business site now!

Awesome story... We should hit Target next time I'm in town!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

That is so funny, I can't wait to have Kaylee read this. She will feel so much better. She was not thrilled that Mike had ratted her out!

Janice said...

Great story. And good for Lisa to continue to tease you about it. It is very tease worthy.

dani said...

too funny, the donald:b and, i love the freudian slip you made in the last sentence of the second paragraph, "can", lol!!!
~db

tharker said...

Hey dude, that popcicle lady wearing the skirt....that means it's the LADIES room ;) Sorry, I just had to tease you a bit, because this is HILARIOUS!

You are so lucky that no other ladies came in, or you probably would have ended up with a purse to your head!

I'm going to chuckle about this all day. Thanks Donald!!

Lori said...

Too funny! I remember a similar incident involving me and a men's bathroom at a movie theater. Unfortunately, there were men already in there when I walked in. I'm scarred for life.

Stephanie said...

thanks for the good laugh! Have a great day.

SuzanSayz said...

Oh Donald how silly of you. I can't believe Lisa didn't tell me about that. Congratulations on making me laugh out loud, that very rarely happens.
Love Mom!

Jan said...

I knew you probably would look good in a skirt. That is so funny. Now a days, you never know.

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Wow. I would have just finished though.

Janice Head said...

It's really not your fault. When they remodeled they put the women's bathroom where the men's used to be. You should sue them for not putting up flashing lights to warn you.

Heidi D said...

Funny. I think I liked the live retelling of it better.

Anonymous said...

ohhh that's good, i'm not the only one!!!!!!! :)

Brooke said...

My husband and got a kick out of this story! Thanks for the laugh (and willingness to share!)