Monday, September 29, 2008

I am a Man, and I Iron. (Yes, you read that right)

A couple weeks back our iron decided it was time to die, and join its brothers and sisters up in iron heaven. And while I am sure that its iron parents were glad that they were back in the fold, it left us with nothing to smooth out our wrinkles with. I decided to take it upon myself to go out and get a new iron, so we would not have to go around with creases on our shirts that shouldn’t be there.

Oh yes, let’s get one thing out of the way right now. Yes, I do iron. And while Lisa does do most of the ironing in the house, I will step up to the plate and press away if necessary. I have been an advocate of nicely pressed shirts since I was in high school. In fact, I have always been very picky about not only how my shirts are ironed, but how they are washed. If liquid fabric softener wasn’t used in the laundering of my shirts, I can tell. Everybody has their strange ticks. I guess this is one of mine.

Back to the story at hand. I decided to make one of my famous trips to Wal-Mart at night to purchase an iron. Now I have never bought an iron before, but I know that I didn’t want to get the cheapest one they had. There are certain iron features that are a must. It must do that steam thing, and not just the spray thing. The spray thing always leaves your clothes with wet spots. I hate wet spots. That is why the steam is vital. It is an added bonus if the iron also comes with a button to manually steam, so you don’t just have to depend on the automatic steam. Another feature that comes in handy is a cord that won’t get all twisted up. Our old iron’s cord was so twisted that even if you tried to untwist it, it would instantly curl back up.

I was quite surprised to see the price range of irons. They started around 9.99, and went up to over 100 bucks. And while I do appreciated a nicely pressed t shirt, I wasn’t about to dish out over a 100 bucks for it. That my friends is crazy. I settled on a Sunbeam iron (It said they were making irons back before clothes were invented, so I figured it would be a good one) that was priced at 24.39 after the little smiley face had rolled it back from 26.97.

When I made it up to the counter, the lady gave me a funny look. She acted kind of surprised that a guy was buying an iron. “If you don’t mind, let me give you a little advice,” she said to me. “Irons are not the best gift that you could give to your wife/girlfriend. They will take it the wrong way” When I informed her that the iron was for me, she gave me that once over look as if trying to decide if I was either telling the truth, or pulling her leg. After bagging it up, she wished me happy ironing, and I headed home.

The next day Lisa set to iron a big pile of clothes that had been accumulating since the old iron died. She was ready to start, but when she did, there was a problem. The iron sucked. It sucked a lot. It was as if you were trying to use a piece of sand paper to iron your clothes. At first I just figured that she was exaggerating about how bad it was. But when I gave it a try the next day, I understood her pain. It was like a nightmare that you couldn’t wake up from. It became obvious to me why Mr. Smiley Face had rolled back the price. It was because they weren’t selling at that price. In my opinion, one of the 9.99 ones would have been better than that garbage. Since this iron just would not do, I needed to go get another one.

Not wanting to give Wal-Mart my iron buying business now, I decided to check out one of my favorite stores, Target. Much like Wal-Mart, Target had a large selection. After pondering the many different choices, I decided on a T-Fal iron. The ironing surface on this one seemed perfect. It had great features and also came with a lifetime guarantee. And it was only 39.99. A little more pricier than the hunk of Sunbeam refuse from the other store, but I had a 25 dollar gift card from work so it wasn’t bad at all.

It was right after I picked up the box and was about to walk up to the front and purchase this iron when I was confronted by a lady who was also looking at the irons.

“Is that iron for you?” she asked me.

“Yes it is. Our iron died, and we needed a new one.” I replied.

“Oh you mean it is for your wife.”

“Well, she uses more than I do, but yes it is for me.”

“Does that mean you know how to use it?”

“Uh, yes. Yes I do. Have been ironing for about 15 years now.”

“Oh, OK. Have a good night.”

I thought back to Wal-Mart the week before about how the checker was caught off guard with my purchase, and now this lady was asking questions. Very strange indeed. With iron in tow, I headed to the checkout line, where I placed the new (and hopefully better) iron on the conveyer belt. When I did this, a girl who was in her mid 20’s sees it and says to me, “Hey, you are buying an iron huh?” Yes, I AM buying an IRON! What was with these people? It was as if I was on candid camera or something. She didn’t quite know how to react to my sarcastic answer, so she just turned to the cashier and paid for her items.

Finally, it was my turn to be rung up. And what were the first words out of this cashier’s mouth? Not “hello there” or “how was your target experience tonight?” They were: “Oh…you are buying an iron huh?” “Why yes I am. My other iron died, and I can’t go out in public with a wrinkled shirt. So I had to buy this tonight!” And right on cue, as if she had rehearsed it before, she asked me if I was serious, or if the iron was for someone else.

C’mon now. Do you mean to tell me that these cashiers at both stores had never seen a man buy an iron? Or the ladies who couldn’t believe that a male shopper would buy an iron? The funny thing to me is that I could have walked up there with a family size carton of feminine hygiene products and no one would have said a word. Well, there would have been quiet laughter from any men that might be around, but other than that nothing. But heaven forbid a man wants to buy an iron. Then there has to be an explanation. And I found out that I want nicely pressed shirts just doesn’t seem to cut it.

So from now on any iron buying will be done by Lisa. Or I will have to pay a girl to go into the store for me and buy one while I wait in the car.

By the way, the iron works great. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you are of the fairer sex if you buy one. That is unless you want to have to have a lot of explaining to do.

17 comments:

Em and Ms said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe all those people asked you about it. I do all the ironing in our family, but Matt definitely knows how. What's funny is I have 6 brothers, and all of them do their own ironing. The ones who are married still do it all, their wives do not iron. We thought maybe it was just our family that ironed anymore. Oh, and if that one doesn't work out I love my Rowenta iron. They're around $50 but they have them at Joanns and you can use a 40% off coupon. Another tip--get a good ironing board pad! Makes a huge difference.

SuzanSayz said...

I figured when you were telling us this story that you should use it for blogging fodder. It is as funny in print as it was in hearing all about it in person.
How many people out there are thinking, "His mom sure raised him right!" He also changes poopy diapers everyone!

Stephanie said...

three cheers for the iron buying and using man!

My hubby irons, does dishes, cleans, and is #1 in my book.

It sounds like Lisa got a #1 guy too. Kudo's

The Yancey Family said...

Haha, I liked the hint that the Wal-mart lady gave you about irons not making good gifts. She's right, though. We hardly iron anything at our house, we just throw it in the dryer! We're just lazy about it!

Yasmine said...

My husband is an ironing man as well. In FACT, I ruined ours a month ago trying to use iron-ons on Hunter's school bag. Jason is the only one around here who irons, so I bought him a nice one from Costco for his birthday. WELL. He was NOT happy about it. In fact, he complained to some friends about it and said that he was probably the only man in history to ever receive an iron as a gift. (For the record, it wasn't the ONLY gift he got.)

Lisa Christine said...

Donald...I have a confession...I haven't been using liquid fabric softener on your laundry for a month or two now.

Love the new iron.

Love you.

libbie said...

Ha Ha! Did you even notice that she hasn't been using liquid softener?

Guess what. . . . . I am a chick (FYI) and I don't iron. I can count on one hand how many times I iron in one year. So kudos to all you men out there who iron your own shirts!

PS. For reals on the 7th . . . Dinner. But I am still stumped as to what I should make. Throw some suggestions my way. There is no way in heck that I can match that tri-tip!!! So sorry in advance!

Kristen said...

The first time Mike ever ironed was on our honeymoon...seriously, that was his first time ever...and I think that has been his last. He's the kind of man that you others get automatically sucked into their stereotype and then you get "harassed" when you set out to buy an iron. :o) He says sorry...hehe.

Lisa's comment about not using fabric softener cracked me up!

My Three Sons said...

Here's to ironing husbands everywhere! Oh, and I agree with you on the ironing having to steam, very important. Also, my Mom does have one of those $100 irons and they are AMAZING. Enjoy your new T-fal!

My Three Sons said...

p.s. I got my NOBAMA sticker, sweet! Thanks!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I'm glad that Cindy does most of our ironing. I can iron, I just don't like to, and am not particularly good at it.

And unlike you, I prefer dryer sheets to liquid fabric softener!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Oh yeah, and I found a nobama logo I like even more than your original! (click here)

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Yeah, ahem, cough cough, just ONE of your ticks. You don't have any others? Like shopping carts, or french fries, or...

Unknown said...

I always make it a point to either have Yinelli come along or to throw in something the cashier won't also want to talk about, like condoms for example, when buying stuff that's either specifically or stereotypically for women.

I iron all my own shirts. Not because I like it, just that I'm the best ironer in the universe.

Jessica said...

What a coincidence! Our iron just died as well! Ben is the only one that ever used it, so we remain ironless for the time being...I guess until he goes to Walmart to buy a new one :)

Alisa said...

Who would have guessed the iron-world is so sexist? After all, I am a WOMAN, and I don't iron. Nope, don't believe in it...but then again, I'm sure my shirts are more wrinkled than yours. And if so, I'll put them back in the dryer yet again. I think I'd be surprised if I saw anyone buy an iron, at all. I own two of them (one for each home state), but haven't used them in years, except for sewing projects. Of course, when I need one, I NEED one. Oh well...

Mandi said...

Thanks for the laugh!!! That was great, well for us to read anyway, sorry you had such a bad iron buying experience. Its moments like those that you look at the microphone next to the cashier and you want to grab it and yell over the PA - Yes I am a man, and Yes I am buying and Iron - Does anyone else have a problem with that?????

My question is did you take the crap iron back and get a refund???