Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Top 5 Car Grooving Tunes (reposted)

(I posted this on 9/11 before I did my remembrance blog, and I am not sure anyone saw it. So I am reposting it.)

The last few days while making my 38.75 mile trek to and from work, I have been thinking (and listening) about songs that I love singing along with in the car. Actually, I should take that a step further. Singing, dancing, and playing the imaginary drum set built into my steering wheel while listening to them in the car is more like it.

So I compiled a quick top 5 of the songs that when they come across my car stereo speakers, I just can't stop myself from singing along with them at the top of my lungs. They are in no particular order, and for your listening pleasure I also included some clips of the songs. Feel free to comment, and let me know YOUR top 5! Ready? Here we go!


#1 FREEBIRD - Lynyrd Skynyrd





Freebird was released by Skynyrd in 1973, and people have been rocking out to it ever since. The first time I really listened to it was in 1998, right after I bought my first car. I was at Hastings, and I saw a Skynyd greatest hits CD for 8 bucks. I knew that I enjoyed Sweet Home Alabama, and Gimmie Two Steps, so I figured that I would buy it and see what else I could enjoy. This song starts out slow, but the last 5 minutes I get lost in the guitar riffs. When I listen to this song in the car, I am always afraid that somehow I am going to set off the airbag from all the banging I do in the steering wheel.

#2 BEAT IT - MICHAEL JACKSON


Before Michael Jackson bleached his skin, started giving Jesus Juice to little boys, and being better known as Wacko Jacko, he was the biggest and baddest musician on the planet. I am willing to admit that I love his early work, from the Jackson 5, up until he released Bad in 1987.

Beat It gets blasted out of my Accord when it comes on the play list. Of course since it is Michael Jackson, I usually turn it down a little when someone is within 3 car lengths of me, but when I am all alone on the road, I am doing that hand shakin' thing and getting my groove on


#3 ONE HIT WONDER - EVERCLEAR



In 1997, my favorite band hands down was Everclear. From the first time I heard their second album "Sparkle and Fade", I knew that this was a band that I loved. I was able to see Everclear on top of Silver Mountain in Idaho with my good friend Eric Espinoza. This song is great for singing along too in the car, because it builds up until the drummer just lets loose at about the 1:45 mark of the song. I will scream this ditty at the top of my lungs, and if I happen to have any breath left, I will hit repeat, and do it all over again4


#4 Miss Sweeney - Weezer


This song is off of Weezer's new album, the Red album. I love this album. The whole thing is loaded with great songs, My favorite song though off of Red is Miss Sweeney. The first time I heard this song, I was mesmerized. I played it 10 times in a row. (No Joke) There is just something about it that works. I don't know what exactly, but something just works. For it to make the top 5, and to be so new is saying something about the song.


#5 COCAINE BLUES - JOHNNY CASH


I have only really been a Johnny Cash fan for the last couple years or so. Of course I had heard songs of his, but it wasn't until I watched Walk the Line did I look into him some more. I now know all of his hits, and some other songs that you just never hear anymore. And while this song talks about drugs and murder (Two things that I don't have any interest in) It is a fun song to sing in my car.

So there you have it, my top 5. Of course, I could get into the car tomorrow, and hear a song that I would stick on this list too, but for the time being, this is what I've got. Like I said, feel free to tell me your top 5 car grooving tunes. And long live turning your automobile into a one man band show.

4 comments:

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

My 5 That Turn Me Into The Baddest Finger Picker West of Walla Walla(also not in any particular order)
Rock Me-Great White
Money For Nothing-Dire Straits
Green Grass and High Tides-The Outlaws
Mr. Jones-Counting Crows
Taylor-Jack Johnson

Janice said...

You have good taste in music.

Janice said...

You have good taste in music.

Janice said...

You have good taste in music.